AMF SHOWS & EVENTS COMING UP THIS MONTH!
Join AMF for our 2nd annual “OFFICIAL AMF SHOWCASE” on Saturday, March 19th from 5:00pm-11:00pm at The Tiniest Bar In Texas in Austin, Texas (817 W. 5th Street).
Some of our favorite bands featuring past and present AMF Artists Of The Month will provide an excellent night of local Austin music so please mark your calendar to join us as you make your plans for SXSW.
5:00-5:40pm THE WATTERS
6:00-6:45pm AMY EDWARDS
7:00-7:45pm THE NEW OFFENDERS
8:00-8:45pm DANIEL EYES & THE VIBES
9:00-9:45pm JAM THERAPY
10:00-11:00pm KEV BEV & THE WOODLAND CREATURES
*No cover and no wristbands required.
Powered by AMF & Gigtown
AMF INTERVIEW WITH FEBRUARY
ARTIST OF THE MONTH – JAM THERAPY
Why do you call yourselves Jam Therapy?
– Jam Therapy was just a cool sounding band name that we made up for ourselves as young bucks in our high school days. We were into late 60’s and early 70’s rock and the name just has a classic vibe to it that describes what we do and what our music does for us and the listeners. It’s that auditory feel good, baby!
Do you believe that music has the power to heal people?
– Oh yeah. For as long as music’s been floating around into people’s head it’s been changing lives and history. Music is the universal language; it speaks to everyone and everything! Music gets animals to dance, it makes plants grow faster and stronger, music makes your furniture comfier, planets have frequencies of their own for goodness sake! Music makes people dance which is a great form of exercise and can touch you on a mental level to make you feel some type of way.
Speaking of powers, which heroes (Be it superheroes or non-fictional) are each of you most like and why?
– Garrett: Professor X. While he himself is exceptionally powerful alone, he chooses to surround himself with his mutant brethren, to help explore the possibilities of their freakish powers and fight for mutant and human equality.
Alejandro: People say I remind them a brown Elvis or a Cuban Jimi Hendrix. It’s all about about being an entertainer and letting your soul dazzle an audience and yourself.
Chase: Wolverine. He’s a healer and a wild man animal. Pretty much identical to Chase. Even to the chops.
Matt: Godzilla. He rises from the deep with vengeance in his eyes to serve up justice and save lives. Or Sasquatch. He’s the big, hairy, misunderstood, lovable oaf.
It’s evident that Garrett has a mean running high-five. Do you guys have any other hidden tricks or talents that we should know about?
– Jam Therapy has a bunch of hidden tricks and talents, but they wouldn’t be hidden if we told yah, right?!
Tell us a little bit about the new EP? What inspired you to write it?
– “Tongue & Groove” is our way of showing our patients how diverse we are as a band and how we can manipulate our music to fit different genres while having the core Jam Therapy sound. It has been a few years since we released our last album and we’ve been itching to get back into the studio. Of all places to release our new material, the live music capital of the world is the best! We figured Central Texas needed a taste of the Emerald Coast.
What is your favorite song to perform together and why?
– If we’re talking about the new EP here (it’s pretty tough to play favorites) we’d have to ride with “Camelia”. It’s one of our more unique numbers that has a great, driving, energetic push to it that gets us pretty wild on stage and gets the crowd pretty riled up too. The storyline has a great flow and it keeps the listener engaged. The instrumental aspect of the song has a story of its owns as well; it rises and falls with the lyrics, slows down and picks back up,and overall just really keeps the song moving as an entity of its own.
What can we expect to see from you guys this year? Any major band-goals?
– Well, you can expect to see Jam Therapy’s name buzzing around town as we’re trucking forward promoting “Tongue & Groove” as hard as we can. We want to do our first tour this year and get a taste of going through America in a rock n’ roll fashion. We’re just going to keep grinding and grinding our creative vessels and release the wide world of music that’s constantly brewing in our strange noggins. Stay with us and we’ll give you that good medicine.
CHECK OUT AMF’S NEW ONLINE NONPROFIT DIRECTORY!
In honor of AMF’s Second Annual “Feel the Love” Music Industry Expo we’ve decided to take our mission of connecting musicians with industry resources that are available in the Austin Area one step further and offer an online directory of ALL Organizations and Nonprofits dedicated to Austin music culture.
So, click the link to be the most informed kid on your block and while you’re at it be one of the first to get a SNEAK PEEK of our new and GAME CHANGING website!
On behalf of all of us here at the Austin Music Foundation,
We want to wish you a happy, healthy and productive 2016!
In 2015, AMF served hundreds of music industry professionals through our programs, consultations, and educational panels & mixers, hosted and partnered on over 50 events, and formed new
strategic partnerships. It was an incredible year
for AMF, and we were grateful when the Austin American Statesman recognized the tremendous growth of our programs in a featured article
Here are some other highlights from 2015…
- Streamlined our artist development program and launched the AMF Signature Series which featured guest consults with Nakia, Tommy Blank from Quiet Company, and Chaka from Riders Against the Storm
- Expanded our Artist of the Month program to include new career opportunities for up-and-coming local artists
- Organized and hosted the first ever “Feel the Love” music community expo for professionals in the Austin music industry, which featured over 20 local non-profit and music support organizations, all under one roof
- Co-hosted an educational panel with Spotify for SXSW and launched the new AMF Greenroom playlist on Spotify
- Programmed our third year of Leaders in Austin Music in partnership with the City of Austin’s Music & Entertainment Division. We were honored and thrilled to have Mayor Adler as a guest speaker!
- Launched our fourth annual Music Industry Collaborative and partnered with a new program sponsor for a 3-year investment
- AMF was proud to be the official community partner for the Wine Down Series at ACL Live and to partner with Circuit of the Americas for the AMF Summer Series at the Austin360 Amphitheater
- We were thankful to have the support of ACL Cares at ACL Fest for a second year and had a blast at Fun Fun Fest!
None of this would have been possible without the support of our dedicated and passionate staff, our Board of Directors, our sponsors and partners, supporters, and YOU- the Austin music community.